Need help choosing a new mechanical keyboard

If you ain't got Aion on your mind.

Need help choosing a new mechanical keyboard

Postby Heims » 25 Jun 2018 21:32

I decided to get a new mechanical keyboard and was wondering if there are any keyboard enthusiasts around here. I switched to mechanical keyboards about 1.5 years ago and was quite satisfied with the results, the keyboard I'm currently using is some Chinese knock-off "Aula demon king" (the name is cringe af I know :D ). It's using some modified version of cherry mx blue switches, the problem is that they're quite loud and key caps are somewhat loose, meaning they sometimes pop off after intense use. I was thinking about switching to cherry mx red switches as they appear to best for gaming.
I don't care all that much about all the extra stuff like dedicated programmable macro keys, rgb, wrist rest etc. The main aspects I'm concerned with are performance and price (would really like to get something below 100$) I just want a good all round mechanical keyboard, so do you guys have any suggestions?
I'm still new to all this tech stuff so any insight would be greatly appreciated! ;)
Heims

Re: Need help choosing a new mechanical keyboard

Postby Clover » 26 Jun 2018 01:29

I have been eyeing an ANNE Pro in white with full RGB back-lighting forever now -- however they've been out of stock on Amazon for as long as I can remember lol.
If you're not really in it for aesthetics, there's always the less superior, black version of it.

-PBT keycaps
-RGB back light
-60% keyboard size
-Red or blue switches
-Bluetooth compatible
-Under your price tag of 100$
Clover
US Staff

Character: Indie

Postby Heims » 26 Jun 2018 21:12

Thanks for recommendation! I've googled a bit and that particular model seems to be getting very nice reviews, but the 60% size might be an issue for me (I'm ok with tenkeyless) as I'm using only PC and keyboard size is not really a problem. Also that model lacks dedicated F keys, which are quite useful as keybinds for mmo's.
Heims

Postby Clover » 26 Jun 2018 22:43

Heims wrote:Thanks for recommendation! I've googled a bit and that particular model seems to be getting very nice reviews, but the 60% size might be an issue for me (I'm ok with tenkeyless) as I'm using only PC and keyboard size is not really a problem. Also that model lacks dedicated F keys, which are quite useful as keybinds for mmo's.

Yea, the only hesitation I've had with potentially buying the keyboard is the lack of function keys (just cause I like to skip my music outside of the app). But the quality of the keycaps/switches/response time.... ;___;
Clover
US Staff

Character: Indie

Postby SammyPar » 14 Jul 2018 13:48

I love my Logitech G610. Not sure if it's considered a budget option though, but it's not too pricey. It's really solid and sturdy. I feel like it'll last for a long time.
SammyPar

Character: Mercy

Postby Drill » 15 Jul 2018 20:08

I'm using this one for quite some time and so far I have no problems with it . Smooth and comfortable on touch , reaction time is on point .
Fnatic Rush Cherry MX Red

Has like 4 types of red intensity and last one is looping from bright red to light red and so on also you can turn the lights off
https://shop.fnatic.com/products/rush-l ... y-switches
Drill
Officer

Character: AetherTech

Postby Calomidas » 17 Jul 2018 13:48

Drill wrote:Fnatic Rush Cherry MX Red

I can't say much about the keyboard as I'm using a Corsair K70, but I would definitely recommend reading up on the switches a bit if you're going for a mechanical keyboard.

The Cherry MX Reds (I have the same switches) are nice for gaming, but they provide no feedback (no "clicking" as you push them), so they are very weird and hard to type on if you're not used to it. Cherry MX Blues are very clicky and provide a lot of feedback, while Browns are kind of the middle ground. There are more Cherry switches, such as Clears etc. so everyone can get whatever they specifically want.

You can order a test set of these with a few different switches on amazon, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4/

Other than that, Google is definitely your friend here.
Calomidas
EU Staff

Character: Know

Postby Heims » 17 Jul 2018 17:20

Thanks for the feedback guys! :D I ended up with HyperX Alloy FPS Pro, as it was on sale at one of our local shops, very minimalist design, cherry reds, and the price was ok.
I can't say much about the keyboard as I'm using a Corsair K70, but I would definitely recommend reading up on the switches a bit if you're going for a mechanical keyboard.
Yeah I did quite a lot of reading, though I do believe reds are the best for gaming (in theory at least, as I haven't tried all different type of switches myself), I do mistype quite a bit with them, but that's because I used blues for a past year, so it will take me a few months to get completely used to it. The only thing left to do is to try some o rings and maybe order a set of better quality keycaps.
Heims

Postby Drill » 17 Jul 2018 21:17

@Calomidas I know what you mean , if you by any chance try to relax while pvping in open world in aion .....for example my char started going left or right because one of the arrows were pushed without even noticing (got used after like 1 week or so , that's not a problem )
Drill
Officer

Character: AetherTech

Postby Calomidas » 18 Jul 2018 10:16

Drill wrote:@Calomidas I know what you mean , if you by any chance try to relax while pvping in open world in aion .....for example my char started going left or right because one of the arrows were pushed without even noticing (got used after like 1 week or so , that's not a problem )

Oh yeah same. In my case it was more the spacebar, where my thumb was resting a bit too comfortably on it and I just started randomly jumping.

Also @Heims the keyboard looks solid! Hope it suits you. :) And dont let it discourage you if it's unusual at first!
Calomidas
EU Staff

Character: Know

Return to Off-topic