[email protected]

Introduce yourself if you are a shy new player! Or if you just like internet-mingling.

[email protected]

Postby blackcloud » 17 Sep 2015 00:20

Hello everyone,

returning (to the game, complete newbie on !Aion) player who has not been playing for a long time.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone.
"You are what you eat" - Hannibal Lecter
blackcloud

Re: [email protected]

Postby Deuce » 17 Sep 2015 00:31

ok

Deuce
General

Character: Alisa

Postby Spartaque » 17 Sep 2015 00:58

who are you, alien?
Issues? Troubles?
Whisper me on:
Spartaque
Ceasar

Spartaque
EU Staff

Postby blackcloud » 17 Sep 2015 01:22

Okay maybe I should be a bit more elaborate...

When coming back to the game I was not really interested in grinding all the way up again (since my time is finite) and I stumbled on this server's Webpage by accident.

I'm mostly interested in PvP (gotta see if the game lives up to that expectation and from what I gathered, !Aion has a fairly good history (shoutouts to the staff for that btw.) so I thought why not give it a try. Will probably continue bouncing back between here and retail and see what experience suits me better (maybe do both but that would run Kind of against the idea time saving).

Also, I managed to goof around with my back button and apparently now this topic exists twice. Sorry for that (breaking a rule on 2nd post, what a fine way to leave a first impression...).

EDIT:

Okay maybe as a followup question, as I'm really new to PvP, what would be the best place to start out? The Problem with beginning PvP on max for me is that so much stuff is going on that I probably will have issues concerning what to look for to actually improve. Are there legions out there who teach newer Players (and tolerate a somewhat low activity)?
blackcloud

Postby Spartaque » 17 Sep 2015 01:45

Deleted another topic, it`s ok.

About my question , didn`t read 1st time that you are back to game generally, i thought you just forgot to introduce yourself.
Actually, if you have a lot of time - you can try both servers, but if you are looking only pvp - try to focus first time here, it`s faster to start with pvp here, also we provide a lot of pvp modes.

About legions, no idea. And by no idea i think no one would help in game, you have a change only if you will find someone kind and not angry on the world Image

Better read some guides, watch some pvp vids and more self expirience ofc.
Issues? Troubles?
Whisper me on:
Spartaque
Ceasar

Spartaque
EU Staff

Postby blackcloud » 17 Sep 2015 01:58

Thanks for the pointers and for the help with the double post.

I guess I will take a look around beyond basic setup (thanks to chani for the guide btw.) and get my posterior handed to me a few times during the next few days. Looking forward to see you all ingame.
blackcloud

Postby Cheng » 17 Sep 2015 13:02

You got your hopes up way too high, mate..
Cheng
Officer

Postby LyoIsTooStrong » 17 Sep 2015 15:21

I like this guy, he seems nice. Lyo will help you once lyo is back from vacation n stuff :)

Sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of my awesomeness.
LyoIsTooStrong
Pro

Character: Englishmeno

Postby blackcloud » 19 Sep 2015 00:00

Thank you Lyo, I greatly appreciate that ^^. Enjoy your vacation.
blackcloud

Postby Ika » 21 Sep 2015 00:19

I've been thinking alot about the quote in your signature lately, didn't know it was him that said it =o
I guess it's a nice "Excuse" to call himself human for what he does xD but at the same time it's kinda true.

Anyways you're most welcome ^~^ I'll also gladly help if you need anything =)
葬る!
(Eliminate)

Ika
Veteran

Postby blackcloud » 21 Sep 2015 04:09

Ika wrote:I've been thinking alot about the quote in your signature lately, didn't know it was him that said it =o
I guess it's a nice "Excuse" to call himself human for what he does xD but at the same time it's kinda true.

Anyways you're most welcome ^~^ I'll also gladly help if you need anything =)

I don't think he actually said that. But attributing the comment to him adds such an unexpected context to it (and to him) that i just happen to find it hilarious.

EDIT: And thank you ofc for the offer. I'll post a few questions regarding gameplay stuff in here or in general discussion, depending on where it's more suited. I don't think questions belong into an introduction.
blackcloud

Postby Ika » 21 Sep 2015 18:05

blackcloud wrote:I don't think he actually said that. But attributing the comment to him adds such an unexpected context to it (and to him) that i just happen to find it hilarious.

I see, and yeah it is xD

blackcloud wrote:EDIT: And thank you ofc for the offer. I'll post a few questions regarding gameplay stuff in here or in general discussion, depending on where it's more suited. I don't think questions belong into an introduction.

Don't see why you shouldn't post here questions o.O it's your introduction thread, so you can feel free, in fact you should rather post the questions here instead of just creating a new thread for it imo
葬る!
(Eliminate)

Ika
Veteran

Postby blackcloud » 24 Sep 2015 00:49

Alright, after setting everything up and taking a bit of a look around (forums & in-game), here goes my first batch of questions:

- Biggest thing first. How big is the gear gap? I'm de-facto an Aion newbie so me being f4cem3lt0red all over the place is no surprise (and not a problem at all) to me however Aion seems to be fairly gear dependent and I have a bit of trouble estimating how big the impact is here. Due to this I have virtually no base to gauge how well I'm actually doing which will probably significantly impede potential improvement. I'm also getting pretty much destroyed by the mobs in Jotun Stronghold but again I can't figure if that's because it's meant to be challenging and i'm just too bad or if it's designed for higher geared players.

- Do the arenas / bgs have a skill-based matchmaking?

- When scavenging the forums for potentially useful information I found a thread where Harboe mentioned that Assassin runes work differently here compared to retail? How DO they work here?

- Quite a few skills mention "has a chance to stun". How is this chance calculated? "({my Stun Penetration} - {opp. Stun resistance}) / 1000"? Is this separated to general skill resistance or is it like a "crit" (a.k.a. skill has to hit and THEN the stun roll deeds to work)?

More will likely follow.
blackcloud

Postby Ika » 24 Sep 2015 01:50

blackcloud wrote:- Biggest thing first. How big is the gear gap? I'm de-facto an Aion newbie so me being f4cem3lt0red all over the place is no surprise (and not a problem at all) to me however Aion seems to be fairly gear dependent and I have a bit of trouble estimating how big the impact is here. Due to this I have virtually no base to gauge how well I'm actually doing which will probably significantly impede potential improvement. I'm also getting pretty much destroyed by the mobs in Jotun Stronghold but again I can't figure if that's because it's meant to be challenging and i'm just too bad or if it's designed for higher geared players.

Well, Aion in general is a very gear dependent game, I'd say in PvP more than in PvE aspects. However in NotAion the gap is relatively smaller if you compare it to the gear gaps in retail, as the starter gear isn't as bad as it seems, you can still make the plays if you are skilled and know your class, I tried this myself and it's definitely possible.

But fully geared players will naturally have the upper hand, still, you can make the plays and sometimes turn things around in every environment of PvP. What's important is the order of obtaining the new gear, as some may be more important now than later to boost your performance.

Also, what class are you playing? (Based on your latter question regarding runes, i'd assume Sin) Most of the classes will struggle on Jotun if purely starter, bar Templar and maybe AT (not sure on that, but geared AT have it relatively easy).

If you start out a new Templar and socket full accuracy, you should complete the instance on day 1 granted you know how everything works and how to counter the bosses. Magical classes usually struggle because they'd have to choose between magic boost dmg or magic accu to hit the boss that resists more frequently (2nd boss Anvilface). in such a case, you'd rather wait until you can afford another set.

blackcloud wrote:- Do the arenas / bgs have a skill-based matchmaking?

Arenas no, but BGs have a matchmaking system which puts you against (and with) those who are in the same rating tier as you. You will most likely get equally skilled opponents as you go up the rating in BGs. (I'd also add that mostly during the active hours, if you play in the less active hours you're less likely to get equally skilled group members and opponents)

blackcloud wrote:- When scavenging the forums for potentially useful information I found a thread where Harboe mentioned that Assassin runes work differently here compared to retail? How DO they work here?

Thing I know is that here runes will get their +500 MA boost as you have 3 runes carved, the 4th and 5th would be just extra damage (Pretty sure retail is like that too)

blackcloud wrote:- Quite a few skills mention "has a chance to stun". How is this chance calculated? "({my Stun Penetration} - {opp. Stun resistance}) / 1000"? Is this separated to general skill resistance or is it like a "crit" (a.k.a. skill has to hit and THEN the stun roll deeds to work)?

More will likely follow.

Well, all what you said is kind of true in a sense, first of all skill has to hit and -then- there's a chance to stun, if target has stun resistance and you have stun penetration, it's also a roll there. And the stun itself can be resisted by MR too.
葬る!
(Eliminate)

Ika
Veteran

Postby LyoIsTooStrong » 24 Sep 2015 11:50

What he said, but if you are not familiar with the mechanics and skills of your class yet i suggest you to kill the mobs infront of the base instead of hitting dummies. You get a feeling of the damage you are doing, get used to rotations, and get might at the same time. Also as you said if you are totally new to this game, starting off with sin is a bit hard. You need good knowledge about all the classes and their buffs and also be familiar with all your classes mechanics in order to be able to kill.
It needs some time compared to other classes to get "decent" with (and sorc)

Sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of my awesomeness.
LyoIsTooStrong
Pro

Character: Englishmeno

Next

Return to Introductions