How to assist/focus in group PvP (A MUST READ FOR DPSERS)

If you feel like helping out the new ones.

How to assist/focus in group PvP (A MUST READ FOR DPSERS)

Postby computerhoofd » 08 May 2013 03:11

Foreword
I play support cleric as my main. I've played in many kinds of groups. Some groups are really good with high amount of dps and good teamwork. Some group are average.
But what really bugs me the most are dpsers that don't know how to assist another and just go off wandering solo and over-extending.
In the end, everyone is on there own, all scattered through the whole map. It makes getting a kill harder and also makes effective group healing for me waaay harder. Proper focus can change the whole game for you team. So for all you solo dpsers, you better read this tutorial carefully.

Why assisting/focusing?
In general, when 2 groups are going to clash, the group with the best focus wins.

Let's compare focusing with a Real Time Strategy game. Take Red Alert 2 for example. I'd like to add that this is just theory, just to give you a picture why focusing is so important.

Group Red and Blue has both 5 Rhino tanks ready for battle. General Red is a player that knows the concept of focusing. General Blue has no clue about that whatsover and normally let his army decide on their own who to attack. When their Rhino Tanks are going to clash, this is how it'll look like:

Let's assume that 1 Rhino Tank has 5 HP and does 1 damage per hit and all these tanks shoot all at the same time.
The red/blue lines indicates wich target they're firing at.

As you can see, the Red General wins due to micro managing focusing targets.

Communication and teamwork
These are probably the most important aspects in group PvP.
Problem with PvPing with randoms is that you can't communicate as well as with a mic through TeamSpeak/Skype etc. But that doesn't mean that you can't have a good teamwork.
Before actaully going out in battle with your group, you need to make sure that your group knows the plan. 1 of those plans is to decide wich player picks the target and who is going to assist him/her. When you group play according to the plan, it can change the gameplay drastically in your favor.

How do I assist a target?
First of all, the ~ button (wich is next to the number 1 key) is the default assist button. What this function does is it'll select the target of your current selected target.
Sounds too complicated? Let me give you an example:
As you can see here, I am selecting Folly (my target) atm and Folly is selecting Shki (my target's target). If I press the ~ right now, I will switch to my target's target, making me selecting Shki.

Now that you know how the ~ assist button works, let's continue about actually assisting in PvP as a dpser.
What you need to do before going into battle is managing your group list window. You're not a support priest or something so you don't need to go re-arrange every group member in your list. You only have to put the player you're going to assist on top of the list. This will make you select that player when you press F2, IF you use default function for F2. If not, you can also make a macro with ~ as bind key. The macro should look like this:
/select [Group1]
/Skill Select Target's Target

Note that you need to type down the capital letters too, otherwise it won't work.

Conclusion
Assist your team mate and you'll do fine.
Support Cleric guide: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3575
Assist DPS guide: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3977&hilit
computerhoofd
Ancient

Character: Kenkou

Re: How to assist/focus in group PvP (A MUST READ FOR DPSERS

Postby Eevee » 08 May 2013 04:53

Maybe one day every pug in a group will know to do this.. q.q

Awesome guide
Eevee

Character: Eevee

Postby Dei » 08 May 2013 05:13

You remind me of Red Alert ;; fag.
Dei
Ancient

Postby Zogaras » 08 May 2013 12:55

Nice guide thanks for sharing !!
Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα, δεν φοβούμαι τίποτα, λυτρώθηκα από το νου κι από την καρδιά, ανέβηκα πιο πάνω, είμαι λεύτερος.
Νίκος Καζαντζάκης

I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, liberated from the mind and the heart, ascended above, I am free.
Nikos Kazantzakis
Zogaras

Character: zogaras

Postby Starcanum » 08 May 2013 13:00

computerhoofd wrote:If not, you can also make a macro with ~ as bind key. The macro should look like this:
/select [Group1]
/Skill Select Target's Target
Note that you need to type down the capital letters too, otherwise it won't work.

Not for me then :( tu bed
Int / RNGer
Patricia / Facerolliator
Sanguine / The Rapist Tree
Image Image Image
Starcanum
Ancient

Postby Rineri » 08 May 2013 16:51

Thanks, people need to see this !
Rineri

Character: Qubit

Postby Yayo » 09 May 2013 21:47

Plz learn me how to post links ingame, and I will make a macro spamming it.
Yayoo ~ Newlands

Yayo

Character: Yayo

Postby Kyryu » 11 May 2013 10:11

Please note that 6 ppl running after a kiting Sm is just retarded. you should just permanently switch to the nearest target. I know i'm not doing what i preach beceuse if i see a Ranger in a BG or OW pvp i will chase it to the other end of the map and will camp him if he delogs while gliding. But that is a exeption
Kyryu
Dedicated

Postby computerhoofd » 11 May 2013 11:02

Kyryu wrote:Please note that 6 ppl running after a kiting Sm is just retarded. you should just permanently switch to the nearest target. I know i'm not doing what i preach beceuse if i see a Ranger in a BG or OW pvp i will chase it to the other end of the map and will camp him if he delogs while gliding. But that is a exeption

There are alot of exeptions, but that comes with logic thinking.
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Starcanum » 11 May 2013 11:35

computerhoofd wrote:There are alot of exeptions, but that comes with logic thinking.

Everything in ur guide comes with logic thinking :P
Int / RNGer
Patricia / Facerolliator
Sanguine / The Rapist Tree
Image Image Image
Starcanum
Ancient

Postby computerhoofd » 11 May 2013 11:38

Starcanum wrote:Everything in ur guide comes with logic thinking :P

Yeah, problem is that rarely anybody does this. So this is something to rub in their faces.
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Gale » 11 May 2013 20:34

This should be read by everyone that claims to be a pvper.. Awesome!
Gale
Pro

Character: Gale

Postby Minato » 14 May 2013 00:28

Surprisingly, I learnt something from this. Good guide, it's always best to just have the entire group focus on the primary targets first, seen far too many guys just attack random targets.
Gray Wolves, Red Blood, Black Robes, White Bones
4.0 Templar PVP Video, 오르기
Minato
Governor

Postby Lightningkid » 14 May 2013 17:33

In my opinion this guide covers nothing and is truly bad!
If u write a guide about how to focus in a teamfight (groupvsgroup) then u should cover every detail and not only the target targets target function. To be honest to target targets target is one of the worst things u could do.

First of all there r different roles in this game and that means they can fullfill different actions.
Secondly there r different teamcompositions.

Starting off with the different roles. we have - Templar(tank) Gladiator(melee tanky DPS) Cleric(healer) Chanter (support/dps) Ranger(ranged DPS(sustained)) Assassin (melee burst dps) Spirit Master (CC Sustained dps) Sorcerer (High Burst DPS + CC)

A really smart team would first of all look at their team composition and decide which kind of team they r. There r many team varietys and some of them r Healer(Support) based teams. Tank based teams, and DPS based teams.

So now it comes to understanding ur role. We take for my exaple 2 teams.
Team NR1 is: Templar, 2 Gladiators, Healer, Chanter. and a Sorc. - what do we have in this team: Primary dmg source - Gladiator and Sorc. Gladiator has sustained dps - sorc has the highest burst dmg. Primar CC Sorc and Templar. Primar Initiation Gladiator and Temp.
This is a healer based team. Why? 4 of ur allies r tanky (high health good armor and good sustain) So the healer and chant can rule the fight. The tanky allies have sustain and dont need to be healed like hell but with the sustain for healer and chanter they r even harder to kill. If the enemy team starts focusing the sorc u can now heal like hell the sorc so he will survive the shit. So the one who should be focused in this team is the cleri...and the sorc. They r the targets number one.
And now we can look how this team should fight another teams
Templar should only initiate grab someone and then (if needed) defend the healer. So the tempar should be near to the healer and if someone attacks the healer the templar should kill/stun this bitch. The gladis r the one who stand middle in the fight and throw their AoE in their team then they should focus on the squishies. Both should target the same target. If the templar isnt defending(no need) the healer he should focus the same target as gladis. The sorc is the one who can shut down their gladis/temps and healers in seconds, but the sorc should stay near to the healer to CC the annoying targets and to kill the strongest targets fast. Healer and chant - their primar quest is to support the team, but both should use their dmg skills too, cleri should constantly throw his DoT on the tanky targets and the chanter should dmg the nearest target if possible.

Now we take Team NR2:
2 Templars, Assassin, 2 Ranger, Spirit Master.

This is a combination of tank and DPS based team.
Tempars initiate and annoy everyone but they have to protect rangers and SM
Assassin is the one who has high burst dmg and can kill the most important target - he has the possibility to attack everyone cuz he has hide.
Ranger - Primar source of dmg. Sustained DPS and Ranged. - Kiting and assisting the assassin.
Spirit master is the CC source and the targeted one.
One thing to note: No sustain!

Now we look at the fight between team nr 1
Temp, 2 Gladi, Cleri, Chanter, Sorc

and

2 Temps, 2 Rangers, Sin, SM.
team nr 2

Possible strategy for team NR1 to win team NR2:
Temp from team NR1 Runs in the middle of team NR2, grabs their SM and CCs the SM as much as possible, backs of to protect healer, and in this time both gladis kill their SM . Our Sorc target should be their rangers and then temps. The temp has to back off cuz their sin would target the sorc or the healer. so the temp has to whatch out for the sin. When gladis r done with the sm they should switch to rangers, and they should die fast. Now kill the assasin - and killing the temps isnt a hard problem after all.
BIG NOTE: Kite the Temps as hard as possible, if u underrastimate their temps they will win the fight alone.

Possible strategy for team NR2 to win team NR1:
Both temps run in and fucck the healer as hard as possible, the assassin should finish this job. Both temps after finishing of the healer back off to protect allied SM but before backing off they should grab opponent sorc and the assassin should kill the sorc. Both rangers should kite opponent gladis and maybe throw a sleep in 1 of them. The rangers should assist the assassin. When healer and sorc r dead sin and rangers should switch to the gladis and in this time the temps should assist rangers target. then switch to chant and then to temp.
SM should kite and dmg the gladis, and if possible fear them. when the gladis r dead just assist the rangers.

Well another thing to mention, NEVER FOCUS THE TANK. if u focus the tank - its a freewin for the opponent team. Primar targets r squishies and DPSers. SM is always the target nr1 due to the high kite potential annoying DoTs and the problem nr1 FEAR
Healer can rule the fights.

With this post I am just saying that there r many different situations different roles and different teams. It all comes up to the understanding of ur role in the teamfight and who u r. If u just blindly focus only 1 target the enemy team just can counter this by kiting and killing ur main dmg source.
This guide should be overworked.

Sorry for my bad english guys!
Lightningkid

Character: Deathxknife

Postby Lightningkid » 14 May 2013 17:33

Whoa wtf this messege is so big Oo
Lightningkid

Character: Deathxknife

Next

Return to Guides