Kenkou's: How to support cleric (NotAion edition)

If you feel like helping out the new ones.

Kenkou's: How to support cleric (NotAion edition)

Postby computerhoofd » 25 Feb 2013 17:41

Foreword
When I saw Athruna's Support Cleric guide popping up on the forums (wich is an excellent guide), I felt devistated since I was working on my guide for quiet some time now, but now it becomes pretty useless since someone else has posted a guide of the same topic already. But for me, not posting my guide after worked hard for it is such a waste. Although most info are already covered by Athruna's guide, I hope you still learn something from my guide.

I assume you are a very kind, helpful and nice person :P. You also like to heal your team mates, hence support cleric.
I play support cleric myself because I think that's the best way to play the cleric class in a 3+ man group.
If you don't like healing then I recommend not to read this, since it's a long guide. lol
I've been playing cleric for about 2 years now. Mostly on Infinite Aion on my character named Kenkou.
I have lots of fun with this class. Healing and dispelling my team mates gives me a satisfying feeling.
Being a cleric also carries alot of responsibility, therefore, you're a very important player in the group, for PvE and PvP.
I was really nub back then, I had no cleric sensei to teach me so I had to learn the tricks by myself, but I grew slowly but surely and became a better cleric and a wanted player in IA.
I still have things to learn and to practice so feedbacks are welcome. Here I'll share you the things I've learned in my journey of the way of the support cleric.
My character's name is Kenkou (means "health" in japanese) and she hopes you enjoy this guide.
Image omg look how pretty~~~~ :3

=========================================================================================================================================

List of stuff I'll be talking about:
    - Gear
    - Stigma
    - Keybinds
    - Using multiple quickbar pages???
    - Playstyle and tricks
    - 1v1
    - Conclusion

Before you read
You'll find a lot of colored words here. All these colored words are skills. I made it this way so it's easier to recognize the skill function.
Red = Offensive skill/buff, meant to kill your enemy
Blue = Defensive skill/buff, meant to prevent your side from being killed
Green = CC (Crowd Control) skill, meant to disable your enemy in a certain way

=========================================================================================================================================

Gear
Defense is the most important stat for a support priest. Doesn't matter if you're cleric or chanter. In a group, your main goal is keeping your mates alive and let them function freely without hinder, but to do that, you need to stay alive yourself! No cleric = no heal.

First of all, you need the best chain armor (Honorable chain set), a mace and a shield and +15 it as soon as possible. This server contains about more than 65% of physical classes, so I recommend full block +27 setting. With this setting you'll reach between 3,4k~3,5k block. When your block is capped, you will mitigate 35% damage average per physical hit (50% * 70% = 35%).
You also might want to have a full mres set. Something against mages only. Though you won't encounter this situation too often, it's nice to have it.

Besides these defensive sets, there are situations where you will have to dps alot. That's why you also have to make a full mb/macc and full macc/mb set to switch during combat.

To sum things up:

Set 1:
Full block, something you have equiped most of the time, vs physical classes.

Set 2:
Full mres, for rare situations where you face mages only.

Set 3:
Full macc/mb, handy for when you fight mres sins or mres something, I dunno. Full mres sorc lol.

Set 4:
Full mb/macc, for when you need to assist dps on an outhealing cleric or against warriors or something.

Stigma
I don't think that I have to explain you why you will have to use the Benevolence stigma tree for obvious reasons. I've seriously read some comments about Benevolence that the "downside" of this skill is that you'll "waste" more MP while healing (Benevolence gives you 250 healing boost and the skills you cast will cost you 10% more MP). That statement is wrong. It's more MP efficient to use Benevolence for healing. You will heal 25% more and costs you 10% more MP. I think that speaks for itself.

After you've slot your whole Benevolence stigma tree. You'll have 4 open slots left.
You'll fill in 3 slots with:
Noble Grace (insta cast with 5 min cd, AoE buff for group with 25m range, lasts for 15s, gives them and yourself 50% extra incoming magic heal)
Saving Grace (insta cast with 2 min cd, buff skill on yourself or ally, lasts for 1 min, the buff will heal the player for 2737 HP if the target's HP falls bellow 50%, after the heal, the buff dissapears)
Sage's Wisdom (1s cast time with 5 min cd, lasts for 10s, reduces the cast time of the user by 50%, use this for some sick aoe heal combo)

The 4th slot is up to you:
- You could slot Blind against physicall classes. There will be less damage income on your team for 20s if it's not dispelled. I don't like the 5 min cd.

- Grace of Empyrean Lord: Instant cast self-buff with 12s runtime. When this buff is up, your MP will be preserved. Important to cast this skill before you're going to use Amplification + Sages Wisdom combo heals since it costs alot of MP. Cleric without MP is useless, so manage your MP well!

- Earth's Wrath is a nice dot skill, but not neccesary since you don't dps much and if you dps, you'll just use your standard dps skills. It's good in 1v1 situations.

- Yustiel's Splendor II/Marchutan's Splendor II: An upgrade of an AoE healing skill that you already have (Yustiel's Light I/Marchutan's Light I).

- Sacrificial Power: To switch for some dpsing/rooting and then switch back to Benevolence for healing.

- Sympathetic Heal III: Most misunderstood skill there is on Aion. The description of this skill is wrong so don't read it. This skill heals one of your group mate AND yourself for 1420 HP within 25m, 2s cast time, 10s cd. You use this skill like how you would use Healing Light on a team mate, but this skill also heals yourself wich means it heals for 1420 * 2 = 2840 HP in total. Not bad.

Keybinds
Don't click, please.
As a support cleric, your eyes are focused about 60% of the time at the HP bars of your group. If you're a clicker, you'll have to look at your quickbar so you can see where you click to prevent missclicks, wich will distract you from looking at the HP bars, debuffs, range, radar and all the other stuff, that are more important. A player that uses binds doesn't need to look at the quickbar, except when he wants to check the cd of his skills. I know it sucks to get used to binds if you're a clicker, but I'll promise you that you will not regret practicing playing with keybinds after you got your muscle reflexes.
Now I'll make a summary of skills that you use frequently or are important life-savers:

- Cleanse (dispels 2 debuffs on both body and mind. Also remember that hard CC skills like Sleep, Tree, Fear are counted as 2 debuffs)
- Dispel III (dispels 3 physical debuffs, these debuff icons has all kinds of colors except blue/purple)
- Cure Mind II (dispels 1 hard CC skill like Sleep, Fear, Curse of Roots etc. The debuff icons can be recognized as blue/purple colored icons, except for Sleep Trap, wich is yellow)
- Light of Recovery (1s cast heal, 1s cd)
- Healing Light (2s cast heal, mainly used after Light of Recovery when you perform a controlled spam heal)
- Radiant Cure (3s cast heal, 6s cd, pre-cast this big heal when you anticipate big incoming dps on a team member)
- Flash of Recovery (insta cast heal, 30s cd, don't use this skill when you can easily heal with other low cd skills, only use Flash of Recovery when there is no other way)

The above skills are the skills that you'll use the most and therefore need binds that are easy to access. Binds like: e, q, 1, 2, 3, r, f
Other skills that needs binds also:

- Light of Rejuvenation (a small HoT)
- Splendor of Purification (1s cast, 10s cd, 25m aoe dispel/cleanse, use it when multiple group members have debuff)
- Splendor of Recovery (2s cast aoe heal, 1m cd)
- Ripple of Purification (2s cast aoe heal+dispel with about 0,75s delay, 20m range wich heals+dispels up to 6 "ally" players. So not exclusively group members)
- Root (insta cast, 10s cd, roots a player for 6s, OP as hell)

These are skills that you MUST make keybinds for. For these skills, use keybinds that are close to your fingers. Use the "E" and the 'Q" keys for Cleanse /Dispel III and Light of Recovery, since you use these 2 skills the most.
Also try to use F1~F5 buttons to select yourself/group members (F6 is freaking hard to reach unless you have a super long left-index finger. Otherwise, just click that one).
Practice the ~ button to assist your team mates with dpsing. The ~ button can also be used while selecting an enemy that's attack an ally that's not in your group. It'll make you select the target that the enemy is attacking/selecting.

Using multiple quickbar pages???
Warning. If your mouse doesn't have any extra mouse buttons on it, then skip this part.

This method of playing is not very known yet. It's something I found out 2 years ago when playing IA. On my mouse, I had these 2 extra mouse buttons, but I didn't know what to use for... Dispel? Heal? But that doesn't solve the problem with this over flooding quickbar page. I need more space god damn it! And then I thought "so why shouldn't I use 2 quickbar pages?"

The idea is to switch between 2 quickbar pages with your extra mouse buttons you have on your mouse. You can configure those binds in the option menu. This method solves the problem of lacking quickbar slots for your skills, though you need alot (yeah, alot) of practice to play like this flawlessly since you'll have alot of miss clicks if you're new to this method. I normally use quickbar page 1 for dps skills and page 2 for healing skills. Some may say that this method costs time to switch between the pages and that's very true, if you're not good at it yet. The trick here is to switch the pages during the Global Cooldowns. You'll waste 0 seconds if done properly.
On this video you can see how I play multiple quickbar pages, though it wasn't perfect yet.
(skip the intro fight and ignore my play skills, was still noob back in IA :P)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/aDSWixznNhM[/youtube] At 4:34 you can also see how I use multiple quickbar pages to mark players.

Playstyle and tricks
As a support cleric, your main goal in the group is keeping your homeboys alive while they do the dirty work for you. Don't ever stop filling red bars if they are not full yet and most importantly, turn them back to red if they are green (dispel). Only dps/assist when all of them are full HP and that extra DPS is REALLY needed to kill e.g. an outhealing cleric. If all your mates are full HP and your group is not/barely getting damage, rest yourself to get your MP back (cleric without MP = a crappy hammer hitting class).

Kiting
For those who don't know what kiting means. Kiting means holding a string with a kite on the other end of the string and you run fast against the wind so that the kite glides behind you...
I'm just kidding. Though, kiting in-game is a bit the same, but instead of a string, it's dps/healing skills and instead of a kite gliding behind you, it's melee players that chase behind you that wants you dead.
In short: Kiting is trying to prevent taking damage by moving away from your opponents.

Root ALOT. Spam it on melee classes, especially warriors. Always keep it on cd. This reduces incoming damage on your group by alot.

Jumpcasting
Cast a skill with cast time. At the very last moment before the casting is done, press "forward" + "jump" at the direction you want to go. You'll see your character doing the casting animation while floating in the air after the jump. The moment you character lands on the ground, immediately press auto-run to cancel the rest of the animation and move again.
This trick is very important for kiting (and in some cases, for chasing opponents). Jumpcasting allows you to move during a cast animation, while normally you can't move during that animation. This is mostly on skills with cast time. Jumpcasting will make you so much more mobile, but this takes some time to practice as well. Your ping decides how precise you have to time the jump to perform this trick. Low ping = more precise timing required.
Very hard to pull off if you have low ping (15~60 ms). Not hard to pull off if you have okay ping (60~100 ms). You can jumpcast eyes closed with high ping (100~400 ms). Don't play Aion if you live in Antartica (400+ ms). You will rage alot and Q_Q wich will ruin your and your team mate's fun.

Animation canceling with auto-run
That's right. Auto-run cancels animations.

Not sure how many players have auto-run bound on a key, but mine is bound on "z". Some say that this feature is only used for long distance running and never used in PvP. I say that this feature is used alot in PvP and PvE. Auto-run only cancels the animation after the global cooldown of a skill with stationary animation.
After you cast a skill, your quickbar page will turn dark for a brief moment, disabling you to cast another skill during this time. This brief moment is called "Global cooldown"
Image No global CD
Image Global CD

For example, the most noticable and long skill animation of a support cleric is Summon Healing Servant. This skill has 1s cast time, wich is pretty fast. Downside is that after you've casted it, you're still not able to move for about another 1s due to the very long animation, even after the global cooldown has ended. To cancel this animation after the global cooldown, simply press auto-run and your char will move again, ignoring the animation.

Another example is animation after a jumpcast. When you jumpcast (casting a skill while being mid-air) you will stand still for a brief moment due to it's animation after you've landed. This animation also can be canceled with the auto-run method simply by pressing auto-run before you land on the ground. If you do this, you'll see your char move right away the moment it hits the ground. This improves your kiting ability by alot!

Position
Your position is kind of a big deal as a support cleric in group vs group. Normally when your group approach an enemy group, this is when you wanna stay behind and let your team mates lead, but don't fall back too far away from them since you still need to make fast dispels when they get CC'd.
During the group vs group fight, you need to kite alot since you're getting focused most of the time. When 3 or more team mates need to get healed, this is the moment where you try to stand in the centre of your group and cast aoe heal. The radar is a perfect tool to see the positions of your team mates in a 360 view in just one eye glance. I check my radar pretty often.
When a group member keeps running away from your group (this is called over-extending), just let him and don't bother running behind him trying to heal. Put him on the bottom of your list and let him die. That's how it works. You're not going to abandon your group just for one noob that's over-extending. Before you're going to PvP with a group, tell them that they should stick together otherwise they won't get any heal. If necessary, tell them you're going to follow one person only and they should follow him too and assist dps him.
Don't know how to assist dps? Click this link ---> viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3977&hilit

Image This is kind of a bad position...

Keep an eye on mages! Good mages in pre-made group will mostly focus nuke or CC you. Beware of sorcs' Sleep Storm. When you approach sorcs, keep distance between you and your mates and wait till the enemy sorc cast Sleep Storm on them. Dispel your mates afterwards.
Same goes to SMs with their Fear Shriek. Tell your group leader to mark the enemy SM so you can see his position easier. Just don't stay near the SM or glide ASAP whenever you see the SM doing this stance with purple aura/smoke around them (Fear Shriek animation xD)
Don't forget to hide behind obstacles to prevent getting nuked/cc'd by mages.

SM is having a hard time focusing on me due to the pillar between us, while my team mate sin is grinding his HP off.

Group list
You can't do shit without this group list. You need to place it somewhere in the centre of your screen (as opposed to the corner of your screen). I like to keep my group list near my radar since I look at those two very often.

Manage your group list. Group mates that needs the most attention are offensive paper classes (SM, rangers, sorcs, sins). Place them on top of your group list so you can select them more easily with binds (F2, F3, F4 etc)

Papers on top and the group list near the radar.

Some other things I should mention (again)
- Long CD healing skills/buffs (Flash of Recovery, Life Curtain, Saving Grace, Blessed Shield, Noble Grace , Divine Life Serum etc) are meant for moments where regular 1s/2s cast heal won't save your mates or yourself. Only use these skills if you reaaaally have to, otherwise just heal with Healing Light and Light of Recovery.

- Root those melee classes ALL THE TIME. Spam it and make them QQ.

- Blessed Shield + Flash of Recovery is nice. Try to cast Splendor of Rebirth while your Blessed Shield is still up for that nice HoT effect. Same goes for Noble Grace/Amplification.

- Don't forget to bind Greater Healing Potion, lol.

- When using staff, you can stumble opponents with auto-attack/weaves.

- Remember to cancel long animations with auto-run. Makes you function faster in general if this becomes a habit.

- Sins can't ambush you while you're gliding. You normally do this to kite their Devotion off.

- When a melee opponent comes close to you, punish them with Hallowed Strike to slower their attack speed. That will teach them.

- There is this thing called Movement Modifiers. In short: Running forward = deal more damage. Strafing = +300 evasion. Running backwards = +500 block and some p.def. Whatever. Just make sure you run forward when you use Slashing/Punishing Wind, Chastise and some other non-stationary dps skills. You'll deal more damage this way.

- Better have a support chanter in your group rather than another support cleric.

- Cleric's shield skills (Anti-Shock Scroll < Blessed Shield < Life Curtain < Immortal Shroud < Impervious Veil) doesn't stack. When you're having shield on you and you cast a stronger shield, the weaker shield will disappear.

1v1
Support clerics are not made for 1v1, but there are moments where you will have to fight alone vs another loner. Remember that clerics win duels by outlasting their opponents and not by bursting (unless you fight a priest). So kiting is involved alot in these duels.
Here is a rough guideline against each class.

Assassin
As a support cleric, it's very, very hard to kill attack/mres sins, but you can prevent dying if done right (sometimes I have a 15 minutes duel with an attack/mres sin till he just gives up). Against a pre-buffed attack/whatever sin you normally start with full block (I assume you already have the block set on), cast Healing Servant and try to survive the first minute by kiting and healing when the sin is full buffed.

When you're locked by the sin, use Remove Shock when you have about 2k~3k HP left (and cast Flash of Recovery if you have the time) and then use Impervious Veil 10k shield. While shield is up, pop recovery POTION (not serum) and kite the sin around your Healing Servant (if he didn't destroy it) while he's chasing you.

Switch to mb/macc set when you have about 5s left of your shield and CANCEL the shield (this is to prevent timed stuns wich will prevent your initial attack and roots). After your shield is off you will have about 70%~90% HP and most of his strong buffs will be off. With your macc/mb set on, you'll have about 2200 macc, enough to kite the sin with root. Remember to keep an eye on sin's buff to burn FE/AT with Chastise and Slashing/Punishing Wind before you root.

After every succesfull root, make 21m distance and try to heal to full HP with 1s/2s cast heals and wait till root almost ends before you attack again with Storm of Aion/Smite chain.
Also don't forget to dispel as soon as possible since he can cover silence. Grind him like that till he runs away and if you're lucky with glides, you can kill him while chasing him.
1. Kite as much as possible (ofcourse, sins are melee)
2. Cast your Healing Servant before the fight.
3. After every root you land, don't attack right away, but use this time to heal yourself to full HP first with 1s/2s healing skills, cast Splendor of Rebirth and Healing Servant if you didn't cast before and attack when root has only about 1,5s left with Smite or Storm of Aion.
4. Burn their FE/AT/SD with Chastise and Slashing/Punishing Wind before you root him OR simply kite it off before attacking (only if the sin is not on top of you)
5. Don't use your Summon Energy thingy. It may burn few lucky FE/AT/SD, but downside is that your roots will be broken on every hit on the sin. Besides, that thing does like, tickle damage.
6. When the fight begins, the sin will probably burst you with 3 minute cd buffs. Let him burst you till about 35% HP. RS and 10k shield while kiting around your Healing Servant + Fine Recovery Potion.
7. Remove your 10k shield when it has about 5s left. This is so you can root him before he can do a timed stun on you. He has to waste a pot/Flash of Speed to break the root.
8. After you've rooted the sin after canceling your 10k shield, try to use Saving Grace ASAP.

Chanter
You can't win vs a good chanter as a support cleric, because you do too little damage. If the chanter is nub then switch to mb/macc set. Deal damage while kiting and when your HP drops lower than 60%, root, make 26m distance and heal yourself. Only use Remove Shock when you really need it (when HP is low or you're going to make a Storm of Vengeance combo). When you notice that his HP is lower than 50%, cast Amplification and Sages Wisdom then nuke away all your cast skills on him and pray.

Cleric (Benevolence)
Don't bother attacking and wasting your mana. Just stand still and heal to show him your disinterest to fight.

Cleric (CL / DPS)
This may become a mana battle so prepare your Pots and Penance.
Switch to your mb/macc set and cast your Healing Servant. Whenever you see him casting Noble Servant, destroy it right away! That floating ufo does alot of damage. Deal damage and heal yourself when your HP drops lower than 70%. Don't use serum in a cleric fight, spam Recovery Potion instead and try to keep it on constant cd. When your mana goes lower than 80%, use Penance. Try heal only with Healing Light and Radiant Cure since these healing skills are the cheapest MP wise. Notice if he dispels quickly or slowly so you can decide to use dots or not, since it'll be a waste of mana if the cleric dispels fast. Never use stun unless he has only 10% HP left and u want to make a quick stun to interupt his heal. When you manage to lower his HP to 50%, Amplification + Sages Wisdom then nuke and pray.

Gladiator
Easiest fight if done right. Otherwise, this fight will end within the first 5 seconds, glad being victorious.
What's important in this duel is knowing when to use Remove Shock and estimating damage income while being stumbled. You only use RS when you think you'll die if you don't use it. Mostly because glad is having Berserking on.
Against glad, you use both block set and mb/macc set. Wear block set in the beginning of the battle since most of the glads will buff themself with Berserking. Survive this 30s first and you're safe for now. Only switch to mb/macc when your RS is ready to use.
Soon he'll use Strengthen Wings to break your root and be (almost) immune against your movement impairing skills. This is the moment where you will try to never stand still, unless you can jumpcast your 1s cast skills. Kite alot. Some glad will Q_Q and yell "run more, noob". Reply with a :3 and move on like a baws.
1. Kite them as much as possible. Make sure to cast Slashing/Punishing Wind and Chastise before you root. After every succesful root, heal yourself to full HP with 1s/2s healing skills and wait till the root only has about 1,5s left before you Storm of Aion or Smite him. Also don't forget to cast Splendor of Rebirth when you don't have it on you yet.
2. Cast Healing Servant before the fight and try not to stand too close to it since glad's aoe skills can kill it.
3. Make sure to have block set on when the glad have Berserking on.
4. RS at 30%~40% HP and pop 10k shield while kiting around your Healing Servant. If you can, cast Flash of Recovery before casting the 10k shield. During the shield, don't use Fine Recovery Serum, but use Fine Recovery Potion instead (it heals more).
5. Pop Saving Grace after your 10k shield is down.
6. Use Hallowed Strike whenever you're close to the glad, this will slower their attack speed. Just spam this skill on them and watch them QQ after the fight.

Ranger
Key to fighting rangers is to keep +20m distance and kite by rooting then healing yourself after you've make +27m distance or you can run behind an obstacle. But in general, you're pretty screwed when a good silence/sleep ranger focuses on you. His Silence Arrow has a very low cd (18s IIRC).
1. Try to kite the ranger with root by going outside their reach, normally about 15m~20m if they have Bestial Fury on.
2. Only remove silence with Healing Potion when you really need it. Don't use it when you can kite it off.
3. Cast your Healing Servant before the fight.
4. If you can, hide/heal behind obstacles after you root the ranger.
5. Burn their FE with Chastise or Slashing/Punishing Wind before you root.
6. When they're low HP, try to burst them with Sages Wisdom + Amplification.

Sorcerer
Your nemesis. If the sorcerer is good, you'll simply lose. Sorcerers has all the attributes to take down a cleric easily. I still have few tips for when you face a nub/average sorc though.
1. Don't stand too close to the sorcerer, since he can weave on you with Freezing Wind wich does alot of damage.
2. Save Life Curtain (and maybe Blessed Shield if you have no other choice) against Aether's Hold when your RS is on cd. These shield skills will resist the Aether's Hold effect. Cast this skill immediately when you see the sorc casting Aether's Hold. Same applies when you see him casting a CC skill on you while your RS is on cd. When you don't have the shield, use Saving Grace instead.
3. Kite the sorc with root. Root the sorc, make more than 25m distance and heal yourself with 1s/2s cast heals.
4. Pop Prayer of Focus whenever the sorc is casting a nuke on you. This will decrease the nuke damage by 300 magic boost.
5. Look for obstacle to abuse it. Take cover behind the obstacle to hide from cc and nukes and also to heal yourself without receiving flame bolts/ice spikes in your face.

Spirit Master
Gliding resists all Fear skills from Spirit Masters FYI.

Cleric is the nemesis of Spirit Masters. They can't kill you without fear since you can simply dispel all the dots you're receiving. When you get feared, you'll die if the SM is good.
Insta Fear is your biggest problem against SMs. They can fear lock you to death if they land Insta Fear on you unless you're lucky with random glide spams. Tips against SM:
1. Dispel AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. This is to prevent the SM covering Silence on you. When you get cover silenced, the sm can fear you easily. You can't dispel the dots you're receiving > you're receiving damage from the dots > you can't glide when you're receiving damage > no glide = getting feared > getting feared = dead.
2. Always try to keep at least 20m distance from the SM. This is to prevent Fear Shriek (it's an AoE fear with a radius of 15m). You'll also be able to kite more easily with root when you need to heal yourself.
3. Only use Greater Healing Potion on silence when you really need it. When you see him casting silence, try to root him before being silenced and make +26m distance after being silenced. No need to pop potion when you can simply run away from the SM.
4. When approaching an SM, remove all your buffs first. Those buffs act like C4 bombs planted on you wich the SM can detonate from a distance with his insta dispelling skills.
5. Only use Saving Grace when your HP is lower than 50%. Remember that SMs can dispel your buffs.
6. When you approach an SM from far away, keep an eye on the range between you and the SM. Jump and glide when you reach his Line of Sight (25m) for a lucky Insta Fear resist.

Templar
Those annoying pulls makes it harder to kite these guys. Though, still kitable. I don't have much experience with Cleric vs Templar duels, but this is what I know:
1. Kite them, lol.
2. Kinda tired of saying this, but cast Healing Servant before the fight.
3. Pop Prayer of Focus whenever you see the templar casting Sword Storm. This increases the chance of resisting the KD.
4. Try to RS ASAP whenever you get stumbled with low HP. This is to prevent Break Power on you, wich does alot of damage.
5. Only use Saving Grace after you've used RS.
6. When they have Aether Armor up, either switch to full macc set to still be able to hit them or switch to full block set and survive by kiting.

Conclusion
Cleric is actually a very simple class (as opposed to complicated sorcs and SMs). What makes it hard to play cleric is the fact that you'll get focused alot and you still need to keep multiple allies alive while you're under pressure. There is one thing that makes clerics unique and shine: that's their ability to dispel debuffs on allies and him/herself. Imagine a full group without a cleric, ikr.
I hope you enjoyed my guide and learned alot from it. This is where I put my pen down. Cya on !Aion :D

Kenkou says: "bai bai hihi :D"
Crabby: "brblblrblrbrlblrblulublebub"
Last edited by computerhoofd on 24 Jun 2014 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
Support Cleric guide: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3575
Assist DPS guide: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3977&hilit
computerhoofd
Ancient

Character: Kenkou

Re: Kenkou's: How to support cleric (NotAion edition)

Postby reny900 » 25 Feb 2013 18:02

Kenkou says: "bai bai hihi :D"
Crabby: "brblblrblrbrlblrblulublebub"

I think the most difficult part for cleric is when they meet a Accuracy hero, as the sins and ranger has some buffs for it, and when glad and templar has also some manastone
The glad anyway are impeded to kills clerics, while usin berseking for the debuff of 200 accuracy
I'm using the New Greatsword, reachin 3,5k accuracy and a decent 960 crit strike
and without bersekin is kinda easy kill them while they're healinb the group.
They go sure for the block set, when immediatly someone like me (or evry else glad i think) crushing blow -> bye bye
In the 1v1, ( glad vs cleric) i's pretty hard, 'cause of the kiting part of the cleric
In some 1v1 i've meet clerics poppin up the 30 sec silence shield after the remove shock, and i simply sits with them :mrgreen:

Also for this reason, i think that clerics are the brain of the incomin zergs (i mean the cler are the generals, and all the other classes are the soldier)
"Seriously. Keybind your shit and you'll do fine." © Togepi
reny900

Character: Nabucondonosor

Postby computerhoofd » 25 Feb 2013 18:08

Yeah, priests are the glue of a group. And yeah, if one glad goes full acc 3500, then killing a block cleric is like cutting through butter hehe. Normally, when I 1v1 glad, I'd just use full mb/macc. Block set in some cases maybe.
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Minato » 25 Feb 2013 19:43

Templar
Those annoying pulls makes it harder to kite these guys. Though, still kitable. I don't have much experience with Cleric vs Templar duels, but this is what I know:
1. Kite them, lol.
2. Kinda tired of saying this, but cast Healing Servant before the fight.
3. Pop Prayer of Focus whenever you see the templar casting Sword Storm. This increases the chance of resisting the KD.
4. Try to RS ASAP whenever you get stumbled with low HP. This is to prevent Break Power on you, wich does alot of damage.
5. Only use Saving Grace after you've used RS.
6. When they have Aether Armor up, either switch to full macc set to still be able to hit them or switch to full block set and survive by kiting.

Gonna have to adjust this in 4.0, that new templar chain skill from shining slash hits above the damage of break power with all 4 hit every 12s. Emp fury and PvP mythical fused gs did about 2.1k crits per hit. XD

Cool guide though, although I'd never use a cleric again.

P.S: Clerics are super hard to kill in 4.0 as a temp now ~_~

Keybinds
Don't click, please.

I like this lol.
Gray Wolves, Red Blood, Black Robes, White Bones
4.0 Templar PVP Video, 오르기
Minato
Governor

Postby computerhoofd » 25 Feb 2013 20:50

Hehe yeah. That's how I feel like when I see players clicking their skills. "Cmon..."
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Schnipe » 26 Feb 2013 01:18

Great guide ;)
Schnipe

Character: Schnipe

Postby computerhoofd » 26 Feb 2013 03:46

Schnipe wrote:Great guide ;)

Thanks Schnipe :D
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Areos » 04 Mar 2013 01:10

Great guide, Great cleric ! :)
Areos

Character: Areos

Postby kierahun » 14 Mar 2013 10:11

Listen to this guy :-D
kierahun

Character: Xji

Postby Erased » 14 Mar 2013 18:13

Well,i haven´t really read everything,however support cleric is boring(even though never played).Aaand..a true cleric can heal even with DPS stigmas xD .Besides this *Amplification + Sages Wisdom then nuke and pray.* is bs =\ .But still nice guide (;
Erased

Character: Erased

Postby Minato » 14 Mar 2013 18:52

Erased wrote:a true cleric can heal even with DPS stigmas

No they cant. Maybe against clueless scrubs but against the top elites of this server? No. You don't go play support on CL tree.
Gray Wolves, Red Blood, Black Robes, White Bones
4.0 Templar PVP Video, 오르기
Minato
Governor

Postby computerhoofd » 14 Mar 2013 18:59

Erased wrote:Well,i haven´t really read everything,however support cleric is boring(even though never played).Aaand..a true cleric can heal even with DPS stigmas xD

To me, that's like saying: "A true boxer can knock out some one with only 1 hand." But why should I handicap myself with 1 hand?
Ofcourse, a DPS cleric can still heal. Heck, a priest without 1 stigma can heal too. But trust me, when I play in a 4+ man group and I have to chose between a dedicated support cleric and a DPS cleric, I'll chose the support cleric without a doubt since they can heal alot more.
DPS cleric in group acts like semi-sorc without hard CC skills. When I play DPS cleric in a group, trying to kill opponents would make a better outcome than trying to keep your mates alive. Heal and DPSing is possible, but there'll be less heal, especially in group vs group fight.
Playing as DPS cleric solo and duo is perfectly fine though.

Erased wrote:Besides this *Amplification + Sages Wisdom then nuke and pray.* is bs =\ .But still nice guide (;

Hmm, could you explain?
computerhoofd
Ancient

Postby Starcanum » 14 Mar 2013 20:15

@Erased: DPS build is nice for group when it's group of 2 or 3. You'll have enough healing skills for everyone while your damage will be more noticable in comparison to support cleric's one in the same group. So your role will be like DPS chanter's one. Buffs, healing in dire situation, single-target cc. And dps obviously.
When you have 6 ppl to heal, DPS build is far from enough. If you want, you can make this in a hard way and play without benediction. But when enemies know what to do, it's impossible to do fine with any kind of DPS build. And either your damage output will be neglectable if you're in support manastone build or you'll suck the huge dicks if you're not.
Int / RNGer
Patricia / Facerolliator
Sanguine / The Rapist Tree
Image Image Image
Starcanum
Ancient

Postby Erased » 14 Mar 2013 21:12

Erased wrote:a true cleric can heal even with DPS stigmas *xD*

Actually it was sarcasm,but however,for me DPS cleric + someone else is better than S Cleric + Someone =\ ,even DPS Cleric + 2 DD´s is better than S Cleric + 2 DD´s imo tho =\

Besides this *Amplification + Sages Wisdom then nuke and pray.* is bs =\ .But still nice guide (;

Hmm, could you explain?[/quote]
Well ofc,u´ know..everyone has his own play style,so if you can make a guide vs another classes,than vs same class..you know..it works kinda differently.For example sorc..with the same tactic you can defeat every sorc,but cleric actually doesn´t have one.And when you wrote *Burst mode and pray* ,the other cleric can simply activate shields or just heal itself while you burst him,and in the end your MP is equal to zero,CDs and stuff =\
So yea´ burst mode is useless...i´d better use *Sages Wisdom* to heal myself in a critical situation..and Amplification for other stuff..but you chose so,that´s why i said that burst is bs )
Erased

Character: Erased

Postby Starcanum » 14 Mar 2013 21:15

Erased wrote:DD´s

Erased wrote:)

Are you russian?
Anyway, I ought to watch you surviving sage's+ampli of a decent dps cleric especially when smth crits.
Int / RNGer
Patricia / Facerolliator
Sanguine / The Rapist Tree
Image Image Image
Starcanum
Ancient

Next

Return to Guides