All-new Battleground Matchmaking

Check out what's going on.

Re: All-new Battleground Matchmaking

Postby keykeykey » 27 Jun 2016 05:24

Just want to +1 the idea of rating premades only by the highest rated player in the premade, it would stop a little bit of the 'gaming' of the system I think some people attempt. Would also possibly have a nice side effect of getting higher ranked people into more BG's.
keykeykey

Postby Harboe » 27 Jun 2016 21:04

Update

From next update, when entering as a premade, all members are considered to have rating equal to that of the highest rated player in the premade. However, the (small) rating handicap that was previously added to premade entries has been removed.

The next update will most likely be tomorrow morning.

Sidenote: I took a look at how bad it really is with matchmaking at the top of the ladder. I didn't see a single player at the top who doesn't get into a BG at least half the time, and for most of them, the case is that they get a match 60-80% of the time depending on what time of the day they are playing. This is already as good as it can/should be, so I will be making no adjustments to this area.
Harboe
Founder

Character: Harbkind

Postby Seagate » 06 Aug 2016 20:42

Harboe wrote:
all members are considered to have rating equal to that of the highest rated player in the premade.

Does that mean rank #1000 grouping with #1 doesn't change the possibility of getting a BG compared to #2 grouping with a #1?
Me(#2) and my friend(#1) group BG almost every time and we rarely get any BGs even when there are 80~100 people online, so I was considering making an alt to group to actually play in some BGs but if that's the case that's futile right?

Oh and one last question, that statistic only applies to EU servers right? Also, does it apply to high ladder players who apply premade too

Thanks as always
Seagate

Character: Seagate

Postby Harboe » 08 Dec 2016 16:22

Update

From next update, a bug in the premade criterion will be fixed. This bug led to matchmaking thinking putting 3-man premades up against 2-man premades + 1 random. It didn't classify it as a perfect match, but as a pretty good one, which it really isn't. It was never meant to classify it as something that good and matchmaking in the future will reflect that.

A new player criterion has been added that will, albeit with low priority compared to other criteria, try to match new players with other new players, or at least balance the number of new players across teams. The classification of a new player is, for obvious reasons, confidential.
Harboe
Founder

Postby sagiaj » 16 Oct 2017 08:23

Hey Harboe,
As i'm new to the forum I hope it is ok to put my thoughts here.

Regarding the matchmaking I have a few suggestions to make:
1. The rating of a given match may be ranked by the largest difference of players rank in the current group. This one ensures the rating difference will be minimal(Maybe K-nearest neighbours).
2. A way to decide if a player is experienced might also be based on their account attributes. For example the overall kill count or another unique factor combination of the current account (may discourage newly created accounts grouping with more experienced players)
3. Of course I wouldn't know a thing, but if it helps: Consider a "match" as a group containing subgroups of equal sizes, now the same match can have many subgroup permutations and my suggestion would be to choose the permutation with minimal subgroup rating sums, since by design it should yield the "best" possible match.

Let me know what your thoughts are :)
sagiaj

Character: Bizarrecastle

Postby Harboe » 16 Oct 2017 08:53

Since you obviously can't know how matchmaking works internally here, I'll excuse you for your ignorance.

The matchmaking system consists of minimising differences (in a broader sense than rating) between groups and uses a simple Monte Carlo approach (randomly creates a large number of permutations and scores each one).

1) The rating criterion minimises within-group rating differences and between-group rating differences with weights depending on how large groups are and how many groups are in the BG. On top of that, all players in a premade are assigned the rating of the highest rated player.

2) I can't go into details about how the new player criterion works, but it works fine as far as my tests have shown.

3) This pertains to the design of the optimization algorithm. With this you are simply telling me to take the minimum/maximum of the objective function - which is quite obviously how matchmaking already works as described above. Please note that rating is only one of out many matchmaking criteria. The criteria weights have been selected originally through testing and subsequently tuned after the system went live.

Your input is appreciated, nevertheless.
Harboe
Founder

Postby sagiaj » 16 Oct 2017 18:12

I see, I have overlooked the specifics of criteria.
My suggestion indeed was a shot in the dark since I haven't seen the source code, but I liked seeing your experienced input on this.
I always wished I could help develop an mmo that I love when I have some free time, so I had to express my urge :)

Take care and have a fruitful week
sagiaj

Character: Bizarrecastle

Previous

Return to News