All-new Battleground Matchmaking

Check out what's going on.

All-new Battleground Matchmaking

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 07:54

Hello everyone,

Today a brand-new matchmaking system for Battlegrounds went live! It builds on a matchmaking algorithm that I developed last year which is completely different from what we've previously used.

Basically, new matchmaking takes the pool of players/groups who registered for BG's, creates thousands of potential matchups, ranks each one of them according to a set of criteria and uses the best matchups to make the actual BG's. So, these criteria, what are they?

Currently there are 5 criteria. Following is a short and simplified description of each:

• Rating - matches where the players have rating close to eachother are ranked higher. If there is large rating difference within a team, this drags the ranking down, as well as large differences between the teams. A rating handicap is added for premades.
  • Supports - a match where all teams have the same number of supports are ranked the highest. A support is currently a Cleric or Chanter, but this is easily adjustable. Matches where one team has a support and the other(s) doesn't are ranked the lowest. Full support teams are also ranked the lowest.
  • Premades - premades should be matched against each other and this is what this criterion ensures.
  • Templars - because this class can have such a large impact on BG's, it currently has its own criterion. This ensures that Templars are balanced out across teams and matches where one team has a Templar and the other doesn't are less frequent.
  • Team count - as BG's with more teams have more players, they will obviously never be deemed as fair as BG's with fewer teams. This criterion exists to counterbalance this effect and make BG's with more than 2 teams happen. This is quite important on Solo BG rounds where BG's like Deathmatch (that can have from 4 to 12 "teams"!) are possible.

The great thing about the system is that new criteria can always be added (quite easily) in case something needs to be accounted for. However, please be aware that matchmaking cannot make miracles happen. If the pool of players that signs up for BG's is small and highly dispersed, then it's only possible to create a few quality matchups - the rest will be unfair (and the system recognises this).

Currently, the system will not create BG's that would be extremely shitty, so more players may experience that they don't get into a BG on every round. This is something that has to be tweaked obviously! A possible solution would be to increase the frequency of BG rounds (and perhaps add priority to a player if they didn't get a BG last round).

Regards,
Harboe
Harboe
Founder

Character: Harbkind

Re: All-new Battleground Matchmaking

Postby Aha » 06 Jun 2016 08:41

I haven't been to BGs because the randomness of getting only starters in starter gear and no healer, ideally with people who dont give a f*** about hitting artifacts, was pissing me off. With this new system, BGs might be interesting again, i really like these ideas, thank you.
Possible additional criterium:
- To eliminate the problem of having a "starter" in your team while the others dont, maybe consider using the players Abyss Rank. I knooooow i know... but it seems to be the only way cause starters are usually Rank 9. And in general it might be considered unfair fighting against a group of 5-Star + Great General with a bunch of Rank 1,2,3...
This will give Abyss Ranking a meaning to Not Aion tho, which i dont know if it is supposed to have one :D The new criterum would then simply try to get an equal amount of Rank 9 players for example and would try to avoid Governor and Commanders, Generals in the same team. :)
Aha

Character: Nano

Postby elaine » 06 Jun 2016 08:57

Aha wrote:Possible additional criterium:
- To eliminate the problem of having a "starter" in your team while the others dont, maybe consider using the players Abyss Rank. I knooooow i know... but it seems to be the only way cause starters are usually Rank 9.

idea got some potential but not with abyss rank, I know a lot of players having r9 with few years old full geared chars. That's not a problem to have here. Also would be easy to abuse.
elaine
EU Staff

Character: Whisper

Postby Azedia » 06 Jun 2016 09:16

@AhaAs I understand it this is actually addressed in the rating section of the criteria. Since it is likely that the rank 9 in starter gear will have very low rating, a match that pairs you (I'm assuming you have high rating) with that player is deemed not as balanced by the system. Harb just used a different metric than you to achieve the same goal.
Last edited by Azedia on 06 Jun 2016 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Azedia

Character: Kenra

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 09:25

I completely understand where you're coming from and it's something that I have considered could be part of the matchmaking criterion. However, it creates bad incentives if matchmaking depends on something that is easily manipulated.

This is why gear score for example would be a bad idea to use. This is why I don't use the stigma setup to determine if a cleric or chanter is a support (since you can change stigmas after the BG is created).

Now, Abyss Rank! For some people, their rank really matters and thus they would never throw away their rank just to get easy BG's. But there's also players who don't give a damn about it. And since you can tank your rank by using .glory and buying AP consumables, this could potentially be an issue.

I have considered using character age since nobody is going to delete and remake their character over and over (it would be ridiculously expensive). This would at most be able to separate players for a few days, however, before it becomes a bad metric. While this wouldn't solve the problem to its full extent (a lot of new players will severely underperform for several weeks), it would take the top off the issue I guess.

Anyway, it's great with constructive feedback and if you have any other ideas don't hesitate to share them.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Aha » 06 Jun 2016 12:48

Harboe wrote:I have considered using character age since nobody is going to delete and remake their character over and over (it would be ridiculously expensive). This would at most be able to separate players for a few days, however, before it becomes a bad metric. While this wouldn't solve the problem to its full extent (a lot of new players will severely underperform for several weeks), it would take the top off the issue I guess.

Perhaps, if possible, a combination of character age + Abyss Ranking would do the trick then? As Whisper mentioned, there is lots of "Pro" players on low Abyss Rank, however the old character age would therefore "unmark" them as a starter. So the algorithm first checks for a low rank and then gets the characters age to decide if it has to treat the player as a starter.

Only a character which got created long time ago and never got played would then be mistaken for a non starter, but actually is a "starter". But i assume those wont be many. Then on top of checking age, a gear check could filter those out, too. If low gear is discovred the player will be treated as a starter. The problem here is that now you could manipulate it by wearing starter gear, so the system will treat you like a starter, and then switching to endgame gear, BUT you could only do this with a "young" character, meaning that after let's say 4 weeks you won't be able to anymore.

The only way i can think of now to also get rid of that would be to check the players inventory and search for the best gear, but i guess checking inventory is a lot harder than checking what is equipped.
Aha

Character: Nano

Postby Dei » 06 Jun 2016 13:50

I think with Abyss rank it can be a flaw. People could use the cmd to derank just to get easier opponents, right or not?
Dei
Ancient

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 13:56

Dei wrote:I think with Abyss rank it can be a flaw. People could use the cmd to derank just to get easier opponents, right or not?

This is exactly what I wrote.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 14:42

Update

Fixed a bug in the new matchmaking system where premades would get randomly ripped apart and the teams would end up in a way that the system didn't actually intend in the first place.

This update is now live.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Yenz » 06 Jun 2016 15:55

Awesome, i may give the new Matchmaking a try after i quit BG's at all. :D
Yenz

Character: Ayuki

Postby Seagate » 06 Jun 2016 17:16

So, I tried out the new BG matchmaking today and found 0 bg in 2 hours..
I am very busy in weekdays so I couldn't find time to play Aion in weekdays but once I got into top 20 I found time
However, the only time that I'm available in weekdays is when there are only 10~20 people online because of the time difference. I managed to run 4 BGs even though there weren't many people before (even though there were few "couldn't find BG"s) but now with this new system implemented I wouldn't be able to meet the standards for preventing rating drop since I wouldn't be able to find BG most of the time (I can only play 1~2 hours at best which was enough for me to run 4 BGs before)
Please, change the rating decay along with the new system implemented.
I found some alternative ways to sustain the purpose of the rating decay.
1. Count as 1 BG run even if a person cant find a BG (wouldn't be able to do it on purpose since RNG decides whether a person gets in a BG or not) But there is a major flaw, people who dont want to run bg but want to keep their rating can pick the time where there are only 7 people in the server and "run" BG.
2. Change the rating decay to, not daily, but weekly. Meaning, a person would lose 50~100 ratings if they don't meet the standards for preventing rating decay in a week (say 20 BGs a week.) So people like me can run numerous BGs in weekends and not inconveniently make time in weekdays when one can't find the time to do it to prevent rating decay.
Please, account this into your next update because I'd hate to see my ratings drop just because I couldn't find a BG on the time when I can play.
Tyvm
Seagate

Character: Seagate

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 17:40

Seagate wrote:snip

Thank you very much for the feedback. I completely understand your concern.

Now, I think both of your suggestions are fine, however, I'm leaning towards the first one because with BG ladders usually being monthly, weekly decay is simply not going to cut it to ensure activity at the top of the ladder until the end. Now, as you mentioned, there is a very clear abuse case to prevent decay while at the top of the ladder as you can simply sign up when nobody else is on and be pretty much guaranteed not to get a match.

I am going to continue tweaking the core of the matchmaking system before I make any changes in the direction you suggested. Currently, it is too harsh on high ranked players and will almost never put them in a team (so they will rarely get anything but Solo Survivor BG!).

These things aside, with the new matchmaking system, you would probably never have reached such a high rank in the first place xD
Harboe
Founder

Postby Harboe » 06 Jun 2016 19:00

Adjustments coming tomorrow

Matchmaking will (try to) use higher ranked players better in order to balance teams. This will make matches more frequent for high ranked (as they are currently being left out quite often currently).

Matchmaking will (try to) avoid creating teams of more than 50% supports (so, in the case of 3-man teams, you won't be seeing 2 supports again. This is also a word of advice to those who duo as 2 support characters as they probably won't be able to get matched anymore).

ADDED: The frequency of BG's with larger teams will be slightly increased.

ADDED: The matchmaking system will try for a longer time (more "potential" matches) to create a BG in case it's hard to match the remaining players.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Moonst » 06 Jun 2016 19:20

I really liked new matchmaking system it is really really good in my opinion I can register as solo,duo now it is more enjoyable.I didn't see any unfair things in BGs, I was matching with trio premades even if I registered as solo now it is gone :) .Thanks Harb!
Moonst

Character: Moonstone

Postby Lucifero » 06 Jun 2016 19:24

Wow nice these updates ^_^.
....................IGN in game: "Lucifero"....................
Lucifero

Character: Lucifero

Next

Return to News