Class Trials and 6v6

Check out what's going on.

Class Trials and 6v6

Postby Harboe » 04 Jul 2017 08:14

Hey guys,

Class Trial Package has gone live again! If you're wondering what that is, read here: https://forum.notaion.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8309

We've obviously updated it with the latest gear and made sure to clear all previous usages you may have, so you can go at it again and try out new classes without having to first invest the time and Might into gearing them up :)

And as promised, a new BG format called 6v6 is now live on the servers. From 17:00 to 19:00 on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, the BG rounds will alternate between normal BG's and 6v6. Instead of the usual 3-player group limit, you can enter with full 6-man premades to 6v6.

There are no class restrictions on entry (such as double Templar) and the MR/Block nerf to support classes is disabled in the BG.

Regards,
Harboe
Harboe
Founder

Character: Harbkind

Re: Class Trials and 6v6

Postby Harboe » 04 Jul 2017 22:35

Update

Thanks for coming out in full force today, guys. We haven't had this many players online on EU (326 at peak) for almost a whole year! On the most active rounds more than 150 players were signing up to participate in 6v6 which is pretty damn crazy.

Now, as some of you may have noticed, there's a few mistakes in some of the Class Trial Packages. Those issues are all noted and will be fixed with tomorrow's update.

Also, matchmaking for 6v6 was perhaps not completely optimal, as it simply used the normal BG matchmaking system which is more geared at the 3-man format and isn't good at creating variety, but rather focuses on creating the most fair BG's. While fair BG's are great, some of the 6v6 seen today featured the same teams going against each other over and over which is perhaps not that exciting, so I'm updating the matchmaking algorithm for 6v6 to be better at achieving what we want: fair, fun and varied matchups.

Obviously, everyone is welcome as usual to come forth with criticism and suggestions if you may have any.

Regards,
Harboe
Harboe
Founder

Postby LVA2410 » 04 Jul 2017 22:39

Just a doubt harb. You are telling the schedule of the 6v6 bgs but i dont see the time zones either for eu or na. Im a bit confused
LVA2410

Character: Opera

Postby Harboe » 04 Jul 2017 22:48

Server time which is Amsterdam for EU and Chicago for US.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Harboe » 08 Jul 2017 08:23

Update

As we approach the third day of 6v6, we also near the end of Class Trials which will be removed again after Sunday. 6v6 will stay around, but not without some improvements to ensure that the format is fun to play.

Spawn protection has been completely disabled. While this mechanic was meant to serve as a way to allow teams to regroup after a significant blow, it lead to griefing and unsportsmanlike behaviour. It simply had some terrible incentives built into it, so toodaloo.

Fixed 6v6/BG scheduling code. As I wasn't online for the first 6v6 session, I wasn't aware of how shitty the scheduling system was working. I was here Thursday, however, and immediately saw that it was completely unlike what was intended. The fixed scheduling will alternate between running 6v6 and normal BG's, but 6v6 will never wait for normal BG's to end. This will mean that 6v6 happens much more frequently from 5 to 7 PM as it should.

Reworked 6v6 matchmaking. I already took some time to customize the matchmaking for 6v6 to better fit the format, as usual BG matchmaking is aimed at a 3-man format. Now I took some additional steps to ensure that randomization actually works properly, so the chances of meeting the same team over and over are very slim (unless they are the only valid contender of course).
Harboe
Founder

Postby HexHaXor » 08 Jul 2017 19:26

back in my days people where having fun in hunger games event :) and titan events but maybe im old i dont know ... :( always nice to see you harb managing to keep it up :)
My pets after theyr prey

Former sexual abuser of the PVP balance
HexHaXor
Isn't it getting boring yo?

Character: HHx

Postby Harboe » 10 Jul 2017 08:58

The Class Trial event is now over! You can no longer acquire the box and any remaining boxes in your inventories will be removed today.

If you used a Class Trial Package just before the event ended, you will still keep all the items for the 3 days that they last.

The winners of the 6v6 participation event will be announced later today!
Harboe
Founder

Postby Harboe » 11 Jul 2017 07:56

Update

Comeback effects have been added to 6v6 which trigger when you're 5 and 10 kills behind the leading team. Not gamechanging, but it can help your team get back after suffering a tough blow. The protection on respawn has also been increased from 5 to 10 seconds.

Further improved matchmaking for 6v6. Full premades (6-man) were not being matched exactly as intended in every possible case, that's been fixed, and the random-ness to matchmaking has been cranked up a bit as it wasn't random enough for what I wanted.
Harboe
Founder

Postby Rizyn » 28 Jul 2017 00:37

How are these matches being made? The times i have gone its always a quick que against a pre-made. Hell I had a group just now with no healers against a pre-made. Not sure how this is even close to being "optimized."
Rizyn

Character: Rizyn

Postby Harboe » 28 Jul 2017 07:14

Rizyn wrote:How are these matches being made? The times i have gone its always a quick que against a pre-made. Hell I had a group just now with no healers against a pre-made. Not sure how this is even close to being "optimized."

If you read the posts in this thread you'd know that:

1) 6v6 matchmaking will always create a match if there's enough players no matter how poor the match is. Normal BG's don't do that.

2) 6v6 matchmaking has a random element to prevent the same matchups from occurring over and over if the same groups sign up.

And you don't even know if the enemy was a premade.
Harboe
Founder

Postby William » 01 Aug 2017 19:50

When is the next time the class trials will come D: I want to try AT again! pew peW! or is it only 2x a year sort of thing?
William

Character: Wanderlust

Return to News